The oats methi muthia recipe is a steamed Gujarati snack made with little variations, adding oats, methi, curd, and some Indian spices.
Steamed oats methi muthia is a healthy and diabetes-friendly recipe that combines the goodness of oats and fenugreek(methi). Methi is known for many health benefits for people with diabetes. It helps regulates blood sugar levels. The other ingredients also have several health benefits for diabetes.
- Low Glycemic Index: Oats and methi (fenugreek) have a low glycemic index, which means they have a slower impact on blood sugar levels. This can help prevent rapid spikes in blood sugar after meals.
- High Fiber Content: Oats and methi are both high in dietary fiber. Fiber is essential for people with diabetes as it helps regulate blood sugar levels by slowing down the absorption of glucose. It also promotes a feeling of fullness, which helps in weight management.
- Methi for diabetes: Fenugreek is known to contain soluble fiber and certain compounds that can help improve insulin sensitivity and lower blood sugar levels. It may also help reduce post-meal glucose spikes.
- Nutrient-Rich: Methi muthia incorporates the nutritional benefits of methi and oats, which are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Weightloss: The fiber and protein in oats can help with weight management by promoting a feeling of fullness and reducing the likelihood of overeating.
- Low in Refined Carbohydrates: The recipe doesn’t rely on refined carbohydrates, which can cause rapid spikes in blood sugar. Instead, it includes whole wheat flour and oats, which provide complex carbohydrates that are better for diabetes.
- Heart Health: This recipe is heart-healthy as it contains minimal saturated fats. Individuals with diabetes are at an increased risk of heart disease, so a heart-healthy diet is essential.
Steamed oats methi muthia for diabetes
- Big bowl
- 1/4 cup powdered oats
- 1/4 cup jowar flour(sorghum)
- 1/4 cup besan(gram flour)
- 2 tbsp sooji (rava)
- 2 tbsp curd
- 1/2 cup methi leaves finely chopped
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp haldi(turmeric)
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rayi)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds ( til seeds)
- 1/2 tsp heeng
- 6-7 curry leaves
- To begin making steamed oats methi muthia recipe, powder the oats in a mixer grinder.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the powdered oats, jowar flour, besan (gram flour), sooji, dahi, methi, green chilies, ginger, turmeric powder(haldi), and salt.
- For binding, add a very little water just to bring the methi muthia dough together.
- We need a nice firm dough. Do not knead the dough too much.
- Once the muthia dough is ready, divide the dough into three parts. Now, shape them into long hot dog-style rolls. And, set aside.
- Now, heat the steamer on high heat. Place these muthia rolls on the steamer plate. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, open the lid, and insert a greased knife into one of the rolls. This is to check if the oats methi muthias are cooked or not. If the knife comes out clean, it means muthias are ready.
- If not, cook for a few more minutes until done. Remove these oats methi muthias from the steamer. Allow them to cool.
- Once the oats methi muthias cool well, cut them into roundels. Set aside.
- Firstly, in a pan heat oil. On medium heat, add mustard seeds and curry leaves. Allow them to crackle.
- Next, add sesame seeds and asafoetida.
- Finally, add Steamed oats methi muthias and toss for a few seconds.
- Serve Oats Methi Muthia recipe along with green chutney as a snack or breakfast.
- You can customize this recipe to suit your taste and dietary preferences.
- For instance, you can adjust the spice and salt levels to your liking.
- Steamed oats and methi muthia recipe is so versatile that you can prepare it in various ways. It can be adjusted to suit your taste and dietary restrictions.
- Also, you can fry these steamed oats methi muthia rather than steaming.