Instant rava idli or Sooji Idli is prepared by using a minimum of ingredients in very less time. This dish is a South Indian and loved by people in the whole country.
Very healthy and light on the stomach, this recipe makes quick and instant idlis with very few ingredients. And, a very healthy option for tiffin of kids to school. Moreover, kids love the supersoft Rava idli. You can make Masala Rava Idli from these. Again, a very tasty and mouth licking snack or a tiffin.
Instant Rava Idli or Sooji Idlis goes very well with South Indian Sambhar. Also, you can make Stuffed Rava Idli with the same batter. Again, there are so many ways of making stuffing. You can use potatoes, onions, other vegetables as stuffing in the Sooji Idli. Or, You can make masala Rava Idli after making plain Rava Idlis. And, this masala can be made as per your likings.
At my home, Plain Rava Idli with Sambhar is one of the most liked dishes. My kids love having Rava Idli with tomato ketchup. And, I make Masala Rava Idli with the leftover Rava Idlis. One more mouth licking dish which is again a HIT at my home. And that too with very little effort.
A quick and easy to make dish which needs very little cooking. Tired of cooking day and night…??? Take a break and go for an easy, quick and instant Rava Idli Sambhar. A recipe which you can make with so many variations, can be made totally as per your taste.
Instant Rava Idli | Sooji Idli | Instant South Indian Idli
- A Bowl
- Idli Maker
For Idli Mix
- 1 Cup Suji/ Semolina
- 1/2 Cup Curd
- 1/2 tsp Eno
- 1 tsp Salt
- Ghee/ Oil for greasing
Let's start with recipe of Instant Rava idli
Making the Quick and Easy Idli Mix
- Take 1 cup rava/ Suji / Semolina in a big bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup of curd in it. Mix it properly and allow it to rest for 10 mins.
- This will allow rava to absorb water, as a result, it gets soft.
- So, we have to add water to set the consistency of the mix. Mix it thoroughly to avoid any lump formation.
- And, add 1 tsp of salt and Mix it.
- Check the consistency, it should not be runny or very thick either. Add a little water if you feel it is thick.
- After you mix is completely ready and just before you put batter in the moulds, add eno.
Making idlis in the moulds
- Also, you can make idlis in the oven or on the flame.
- Grease the moulds before pouring the instant idli mix in them.
- If you are making them in an oven, it will take 3-4 mins to cook. Or if you are cooking on flame, then Instant Rava Pot Idli will take around 12-15 mins to cook.
Instant Rava Idlis are ready to serve. You can have this with Sambhar or as it is with Coconut Chutney.
- Firstly, there should not be any lumps in the mixture.
- Secondly, if you are making them for kids you can skip adding water and make the batter with curd only. Because being a mother two beautiful daughters I know how challenging it is to give them healthy food.
- Thirdly, if you are making idlis in large amount then it is advisable to add Eno by dividing the batter in two portions and not in a single run.
- Most importantly, Cover the batter bowl with a lid after mixing Eno.
- Lastly, please don’t add much of salt because Eno itself has salt in it.
- Alternatively, you can use baking soda in place of Eno.