Restaurant-style creamy Indian Dal Makhani without cream, very easy to make. Easy recipe for a most loved dish across the country, especially kids love this dish a lot.
Indian Dal Makhani without cream
- Pressure Cooker
- A pan for tadka
- Bowl For Soaking
- 1/2 cup Sabut Urad daal (Whole Black Gram Lentils)
- 1/4 cup Rajma (Kidney Beans)
- 1 tsp Haldi/ Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
- 1 tsp Dhania Powder/ Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
Whole/ Sabut Masalas
- 2 Tejpatta/ Tejpat/ Bay Leaf
- 3-4 Choti Elaichi/ Green Cardamom
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 1 tsp Jeera/ Cumin Seeds
For Dal Tadka
- 1 Onion
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Ginger/ Garlic Paste
- 2 tbsp Desi Ghee
- 1 Glass Full Fat Milk
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi
- Chopped Coriander
- 1 tbsp Cream(optional). You can use white butter also.
First step is to Soak 1 Cup urad dal in 4 cups of water overnight
Boiling Dal rajma
- Take boiled Dal and rajma in pressure cooker with 6 cups of water.
- Secondly, add 1 tsp of Salt along with haldi powder and Red Chilly Powder.
- Finally, close the lid and allow it to take 1 whistle. After that simmer the gas and allow it to cook for 15-20 minutes.
- On one side, we are boiling dal. Consecutively, we will prepare tadka of the dal, which is the most important part of Dal Makhani.
- Firstly, take a pan, put desi ghee in it.
- On heating, add jeera or cumin seeds in it. When they crackle, add sabut masalas in it till they get aromatic.
- Secondly, Add chopped Onions, Cook for 2-3 mins.
- Further, add ginger garlic paste in it and cook till it is cooked properly and turn golden brown.
- Additionally, add chopped tomatoes. And, along with tomatoes it is the time to add remaining salt. ( Remember we have already added salt while boiling dal rajma mixture)
- Now, Cook the tadka properly till ghee separates out.
- Lastly, add left dry masalas like dhania powder, Garam masala powder. Mix properly and cook for another 2-3 mins.
- Finally, Your tadka for dal makhani is ready.
Mixing dal with tadka
- Now, add boiled dal to the pan with tadka.
- Check the consistency at this point but please don't add much water because it will make dal very liquidy and not at all creamy.
- Lastly, It is the time for our special ingredient with which we can make our dal creamy without adding cream in it.
- Add 1 glass of full cream milk. But before that check with the consistency of your dal. It should be such that when on adding milk it should be of the consistency which you want for your dal when it will be completely ready.
- And….. ola….. Our Dal Makhani is ready to serve.
At tha end, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and cream or white butter.
- Firstly, soaking the dal for 5-6 hours is advisable because otherwise, it will take longer to boil dal.
- Secondly, while boiling the dal and rajma don’t add too much of water.
- Thirdly, dal should be properly boiled before adding to tadka(95%)
- Most importantly, dal should be cooked on low flame to get proper taste and texture.
- Alternatively, you can use Dal Makhani Masala in place of Garam Masala but it is not compulsory.
- Furthermore, please don’t add much water to the dal. Consistency of the dal should be a little thick before adding milk.