Poha is a quick and easy breakfast and snack recipe made with the flattened rice. It is a healthy and delicious recipe which is very light on the stomach. Not only in Maharashtra but it is also loved in other regions of India.
- A big bowl
- 1 Cup Poha
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds (Rayi)
- 2 tbsp Peanuts (Optional)
- 5-6 Curry Leaves
- 1 Green Chilly Chopped (Optional)
- 1 Onion (Sliced)
- 1/4 cup Carrot (Chopped)
- 1/4 cup French Beans (Chopped)
- 1/4 cup Peas
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- First of all, we have to soak poha and this is the most important part in making a perfect poha recipe.
- For this, soak poha in a big bowl. After exactly 1-minute, drain poha and keep it aside.
- Lastly, add salt and sugar to this soaked and drained poha. Mix with the help of a fork. Next is cooking…
- Firstly, take a pan, add some cooking oil. When the oil gets heated up, add peanuts for frying. On medium heat, fry the peanuts till golden and crunchy.
- Take the fried peanuts in a separate plate.
- Now, in the leftover oil add mustard seeds (Rayi). When rayi starts crackling, add curry leaves.
- Next step is to add vegetables. First of all, we will add the onion. After it gets translucent, add all other vegetables (chopped).
- Now, add turmeric powder (haldi). Mix well.
- Cover the lid and allow the veggies to cook. Please do not overcook the veggies. Poha will taste better when your vegetables are crunchy and not mushy.
- Finally, add poha and mix well. But with care so that your poha does not break.
- Cover the lid and allow it to cook for some time at low heat.
- At last, add lemon juice and give it a good mix.
- Your poha recipe is done. Garnish with the fried peanuts and serve.
- Firstly, don’t over soak Poha. Because with oversoaking poha may turn mushy. You can check by pressing poha flakes with your thumb and forefinger. It should be soaked in water for not more than 1minute and drained immediately.
- The drained and wet poha should be kept aside for 4-5 minutes before cooking it.
- Secondly, the whole salt and sugar are added at the time of soaking only. We will not add any salt and sugar later on.
- Thirdly, it is advised to use a fork to mix salt and sugar in poha. Please don’t use a spoon or any other spatula because it will break the poha.
- Additionally, you can add as many vegetables you want or you can make only Onion Poha (without vegetables).