Upma is one of the main and very easy breakfast recipes of South India but loved in all over India. Rava Upma is one of the easiest recipes which can be prepared in only 5 mins and with very common ingredients and spices which are easily available in every kitchen in India.
You can make Upma recipe healthy by adding many vegetables like carrots, peans, beans, potatoes etc along with onions, especially when you are making it for kids. I know difficult is to make kids eat vegetables. It is the most popular recipe for tiffins because it is very quick and easy to prepare. Moreover, kids love it too.
- 1 Cup Rava/ Sooji
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- 1 tbsp Cashew Nuts (Optional)
- 1 tbsp Peanuts (Optional)
- 1 tsp Urad Dal (Split black lentils / Dhuli Mah ki dal)
- 4-5 Curry Leaves (Kadi patta)
- 1 tsp Green Chilly (Chopped)
- 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Carrots
- 1/4 Cup Beans
- 1/4 Cup Peas
- Take a pan on the gas stove. When it gets heated, turn the flame to low and add semolina or sooji or rava.
- Dry roast it with continuous stirring so that it does not get burnt. We don't have to change the colour, but roast only till a beautiful aroma starts coming.
- Take a pan and put oil in it. First, fry peanuts till golden brown and take them out in a plate.
- Secondly, fry cashews till golden brown and take them out in a separate plate.
- After that, in the same oil add Rayi (Mustard Seeds). When seeds crackle, add urad dal and curry leaves. Saute for 1 minute so that the urad dal seeds turn golden brown.
- Now, add chopped green chillies. Also, you can skip it if you are preparing it for kids. Saute on low flame for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions on medium flame till it becomes translucent.
- Now, add other vegetables (carrots, peas, beans, potatoes etc.) or whatever you want.
- Finally, add roasted rava and salt to taste. Mix gently.
- The last step is to add water. If you add 1 cup of rava, you need to add 3 cups of boiled water.
- So, boil 3 cups of water in a separate pan and add to the pan with rava mixture. Mix well.
- Stir continuously because to avoid lump formation. 2 minutes of continuous stirring and your Upma is ready to serve.
- Finally, add fried cashews and peanuts.
- For serving, fill the upma in a round bowl and demould in a plate. Serve hot with slices of lemon.
- It tastes awesome when served with Green chutney. I, being a Punjabi love Upma with spicy tangy chutney.
- Firstly, if you have roasted rave or sooji, then it takes only 5 minutes to make the dish. So, I suggest you roast a large quantity of rava/ sooji and keep it in an airtight container.
- Secondly, while frying peanuts and cashews you should stir continuously because the nuts get fried very quickly.
- Thirdly, you can cook upma with so many variations. So, you can adds as many veggies as you want.
- Additionally, you can skip nuts or veggies also.
Additionally, it will take much less time when you roast rava in large quantity and store it in an air tight container. Upma is a recipe which has very less cooking time and yet very healthy. It is light on stomach.cook